These rules are adapted from the standard beer mile rules at BeerMile.com
Because we’re running in the yard and not on a track, I’ve had to make a few minor modifications.
- Each competitor drinks four cans or bottles of beer and runs four laps on the course. The race sequence is start, beer/lap, beer/lap, beer/lap, beer/lap, finish.
- Beer must be consumed before the lap is begun, within the “transition area”, which is the area with the table before the start/finish line on the course.
- The race begins with the drinking of the first beer in the transition area to ensure the competitors run a complete mile.
- Competitors must drink canned or bottled beer. Cans should not be less than 355ml (the standard can volume) or 12oz (the imperial equivalent). Bottles may be substituted for cans as long as they are at least 12oz in volume.
- Beer cans must not be tampered with in any manner, i.e., no shot-gunning or puncturing of the can except for opening the can by the tab at the top. The same applies with bottles - no straws or other aids are allowed in order to
increase the speed of pouring.
- Beer must be a minimum of 5% alcohol by volume. Hard ciders and lemonades will not suffice. The beer must be a fermented alcoholic beverage brewed from malt and flavored with hops.
Here's a partial list of valid beers.
- Each beer must not be opened until the competitor enters the transition area on each lap.
- Competitors who vomit before they finish the race must complete one penalty lap at the end of the race (immediately after the completion of their 4th lap). Note: Vomitting more than once during the race still requires only one penalty lap at the end.
- Competitors must display their race number on the front of their body during the race, so we can record their time and number at the finish.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does it cost?
The race is FREE, but you have to supply your own beer.
- Will there be awards?
Yes. There will be awards for the overall male and female finishers.
On race day, the awards "ceremony" will begin after the last runner finishes and the race director sobers up enough to present the awards.
- Can I just come and watch?
It's cool to bring a guest, but at least one person per car has to participate in the beer mile. I don't want the ratio of gawkers to runners to be too high.
- What kind of beer are you serving?
None. The race is free, but it's Bring Your Own Beer: 12oz cans or bottles. Bring at least four.
- Will there be handicaps for beer chosen?
Only if you handicap yourself by choosing a bad beer! The rules require 12oz beers that are 5% alcohol by volume. Here's a
non-exclusive list of eligible beers. Obviously, there are many eligible 5% abv beers that aren't on that list.
- Can I enter as part of a team?
No. This race is for individuals only.
- What if I don't drink a whole beer on each lap?
There will be beer checkers monitoring for empty cans/bottles before you begin each lap. Failure to drink an entire beer on each lap will earn you a DNF* result for the race. (*did not finish)